London, UK – June 14, 2023 – The Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl) and Google Cloud today signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) as part of a new agreement to accelerate the adoption of cloud technologies and artificial intelligence (AI) in the UK defence sector.
The collaboration will focus on five key areas:
- Accelerating technology adoption by enabling Dstl to access and utilise Google Cloud’s AI technologies, processes, and people to learn how Google Cloud delivers AI solutions to its end-users.
- Broadening the supply chain by opening access to, and supporting engagement between, Dstl and the Google Cloud Marketplace, including Google Cloud’s wider partner ecosystem.
- Supporting training and upskilling with Google-led learning and development opportunities that are tailored to the defence domain, and supporting wider ongoing Dstl initiatives by transforming itself into an ‘AI ready’ organisation.
- Increasing cross-sector technology transfer by enabling Dstl to benefit from Google Cloud’s technologies across civilian applications and other industries to explore where tools developed for other purposes can help solve UK defence challenges.
- Sharing new ways of working and proven approaches to creating a world-class AI research environment, including tools and infrastructure, technology watch and horizon scanning, and talent attraction and retention.
Dstl’s Chief Executive Paul Hollinshead said: “As one of the most transformative and ubiquitous new technologies, AI has enormous potential to transform societies. Dstl’s collaboration with Google Cloud is one of the significant steps Dstl is taking to prioritise research, development, and experimentation of technologies in line with our commitment to safe and responsible AI.”
“Last year, the UK Ministry of Defence formed the Defence AI Centre (DAIC) to accelerate the ministry’s ability to harness the game-changing power of AI. This collaboration is an exciting opportunity for Google Cloud and Dstl to work together for a secure and prosperous UK.”
“We are delighted to have signed an MOU with Dstl on this important initiative,” said Helen Kelisky, UKI, Managing Director, Google Cloud. “AI has potential to assist the Ministry in a broad range of use cases, including cybersecurity, disaster response, and employee productivity. We look forward to helping Dstl in its commitment to using AI boldly and responsibly.”
Today’s news was announced by Paul Lincoln, the MOD’s 2nd Parliamentary Under Secretary of State (PUS) at the AI Summit during London’s Tech week - an event bringing together technologists and business professionals to explore the real-world applications of AI.
Google Cloud has numerous partnerships to bring AI and cloud technologies to governments and agencies around the world, including securing the U.S. Defense Innovation Unit with a cloud security management solution, assisting the Judiciary Branch in Peru with Google Meet in remote collaboration, and helping the Düsseldorf Fire Department with geospatial data for rescue workers. All work is done in accordance with the company’s existing AI Principles.
Notes to editors:
Dstl – The science inside UK defence and security
The Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl) delivers high-impact science and technology (S&T) for the UK's defence, security and prosperity.
Dstl is an Executive Agency of the MOD with around 4,800 staff working across three sites; Porton Down, near Salisbury, Portsdown West, near Portsmouth, and Alverstoke, near Gosport.
What we do:
- Research – original research and concepts, creating new capabilities for defence and security
- Requirements and Evaluation – Dstl S&T support to assess, evaluate and deliver current, next and generation after next capabilities
- Specialist Advice & Services – our knowledge and facilities are ready to meet priority needs
- Operational Support – rapid and deployed S&T to meet the urgency of operations
Dstl gives the UK clear advantage across science, technology, cyber and information.
For more information contact the Dstl press office on 01980 950000 option 2.
Social media: @dstlmod
About Google Cloud
Google Cloud accelerates every organisation’s ability to digitally transform its business and industry. We deliver enterprise-grade solutions that leverage Google’s cutting-edge technology, and tools that help developers build more sustainably. Customers in more than 200 countries and territories turn to Google Cloud as their trusted partner to enable growth and solve their most critical business problems.
About Defence Artificial Intelligence Centre (DAIC)
The Defence AI Centre champions, enables and innovates AI across UK Defence, working collaboratively across government, with industry, academia and our allies for strategic advantage of our Armed Forces. As part of the Ministry of Defence, it is a federated organisation comprising Defence Digital in Strategic Command, Defence Equipment and Support, and the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory.